[RC] books etc., Walter Farley (why we got into ....) - Sharlene Roberts-Caudle

I'd already started feeling as though RideCamp was a
virtual community, when I'm feeling lonely, and with
the sharing about the passion other folks have for
horses--makes me fee like we're related!

I "rode" a horizontal butane tank for years.  My
used-to-be a cowboy grandpa bought me a small pony
when I was in Kindergarten.  She came with a bridle
that was far too large, but I carried it to
Kindergarten with me over my shoulder like a handbag.
I rode Misty in the pasture wherever she wanted to go,
what speed she wanted to travel at, and we finished
when she decided she'd had enough.  She bit my mother
once, though, and sometime after that she went away.
I remember the yearning after a horse actually felt
like pain to me.  The ending is happy, but it's fun to
travel back and remember this.

Walter Farley only intended to write The Black
Stallion, but so many children wrote to him that he
was convinced to continue.  If I'm not mistaken, his
final book, The Black Stallion and the Girl, was
published posthumesly and his son worked on it some.

My sister didn't care a fig for horses, but you know
how a horse crazy kid wants to infect others!  I
bribed her into reading the Black Stallion, and then
she read them all.

If you haven't read his 2 non-Black Stallion/Island
Stallion books, you've got to get them:  a kind of
fictional augmented biography of Man 'O War, and "The
Horse Tamer."

Sharlene