[RC] Barn plans - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Sharon Hahn sharon.hahn@xxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

IMO, the top thing to ask for in a barn is that it be connected
to your pasture.  My neighbors have to lead their horses in
and out, but mine just line up at the door at feeding time.
I can even have people without horse experience feed for me -
just dump the food in the stalls and open the door so they can
come in.  Also, my water tank is located along the barn wall;
I can easily fill it from the faucet in the barn, and in
the winter I plug the tank heater into an outlet that is
in the barn and run the cord through a hole in the wall.

You might also think about hay storage - is there room to
have an easy-access ground level hay area?  (you do not want
to have to drag each bale 50 feet after unloading from the wagon.) If not, can
you easily position a hay elevator to get the bales to the loft?  The ultimate
luxury would be drive-
through barn that had room for several hay wagons at once
(those are hard to back up!)

Also, if you are having stalls, make them as open as possible.
I have small stalls, but they seem bigger because they are
open on 2 or 3 sides (the bottom is solid wood 4 feet or so up,
but the tops are open and the horses can hang their heads out
or at least see through mesh wire (on sides where head-hanging
isn't safe due to grumpy neighbors or stuff stored nearby).
The horses like them much better than the traditional, more
closed-in stalls.