Re: [RC] DO NOT FEED BEET PULP DRY - Part 2 - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

(Part 2 of previous discussion regarding beet pulp causing choke.)

Since we’re on the subject of choke, let’s review a bit about that.  I realize that the very word is scary as hell, because choke in humans is immediately life-threatening.  Why?  Because in humans, choke usually refers to a tracheal obstruction, and thus blockage of airways.  In horses, choke refers to an esophageal obstruction, nowhere near the airway.  It’s uncomfortable, it’s dramatic (more so for the owner than the horse) and sometimes it requires veterinary intervention.  But choke is rarely life-threatening in horses.  Seriously.  Horses do very rarely die, usually if the obstruction can’t be cleared for some reason (ie, carrots are really hard to clear because they don’t dissolve and break down with time and saliva) and the horse is eventually euthanized--- because the esophagus responds extremely poorly to surgery and thus is rarely attempted.  Or, because the esophagus is ruptured, usually by someone attempting to too roughly push an obstruction downward, when patience and a little finesse would have served better.

So how do vets treat choke?  First of all, the dark-humor joke within the profession is that you (as a vet) must drop everything and rush to the scene as quickly as possible… before the horse clears it on his own and deprives you of an emergency-call invoice. :-)   Once there, the first approach is Sedate and Wait… get the horse to hang his head and let the obstruction move on its own.  Doesn’t sound very dramatic so far, does it?  I’ve often commented that usually the owner is more in need of sedation than the owner is.  If Sedate and Wait doesn’t work, then while the horse’s head is still hanging, you administer oxytocin to dilate the smooth muscles of the esophagus (very effective) and carefully advance a nasogastric tube to hose out the obstruction.  It’s rare that it doesn’t work, though it sometimes takes patience.  Notice that “patience” is usually not used during drop-dead, life-threatening, my-horse-is-about-to-die crisis.  Once the obstruction is cleared, then after care if soft food for a sore throat, some anti-inflammatories and usually some systemic antibiotics.

To answer other comments and questions recently posted: nope, massage usually doesn’t help a whole lot and is more likely to cause increased inflammation and possibly rupture.  Turnout is fine and probably very effective the majority of the time.  Best of all, don’t get hysterical, be patient to see if he’ll take care of the problem on his own and if not, fine, call your vet.

If anyone’s horse has a problem with dry beet pulp, then don’t feed it to him dry.  I doubt the experience was nearly as exciting or dramatic for him as it was for the owner.  Paying attention to his teeth is also a very good idea, as poor dentition is FAR more of a risk factor for choke than is the composition of the food.  After that, pay attention to how much competition there is for food (and thus incentive to gobble) and THEN consider composition of the food being provided.

I hope this has dispelled a few more of the myths going around about the dark and evil mysteries of the equine gut. J

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS