Re: [RC] horse stories - Barbara McCrary

Has anyone read a book called "The Haunters of the Silences"?  It is very old, published in 1906.  I have a copy that has come down from my mother.  The author is Charles G. D. Roberts, the illustrator is Charles Livingston Bull.  All of the stories are about different animals, told from their prospective.  In the chapter called "A Stranger to the Wild", the main character is a white Spanish Barb stallion that is being shipped to Canada on a three-masted schooner.  The schooner wrecks on rocks off the coast of Gaspe and the stallion is plunged into the sea.  The rest of the story relates how he swims ashore and what he does after that.  Beautiful book.  Mine is tattered and needs re-binding, but it is a treasure.

Barbara
----- Original Message -----
From: Chris Paus
Sent: Thursday, April 28, 2005 7:10 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] horse stories

Speaking of hard luck stories, how many of us read Snowman??? I must have read it a dozen times. Once when I was cleaning a storage room, I found a battered old copy of that book. I had to sit down right then and there and read it again.

chris

Jen <horse2die4@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I really liked a little known book called, Not on a White Horse.  It not only had horses in it but it is also a story about becoming a teenager and alcoholic father.  It was really close to home at the time I read it.  I still keep it on my shelf and am considering naming a horse or one of my kids after the main character, Rhiannon.
Jen