[RC] [RC] Recommended feed rations from the grain factoryWrong!!! - DreamWeaver

...same here, I let my horses eat free choice whatever they want _after_ the ride starts. Up until then, I am careful about what they get, all the hay they want, and some soaked (low molasses) beet pulp. Between rides, I will pre-load them for a few days before we leave, and for a few days after we get back -- of soaked beet pulp with salt, and a little bit of the Manna Pro complete feed that is 10% protein and 1 to 2% molasses. I don't feed any grains between rides or before a ride, and cannot possibly feed my horses the same amount or type of feeds on a daily basis that they get at rides (esp. since most of my rides are multidays). My horses all have weight problems, as in they are all "too easy keepers", (not complaining). ;)

I know that some probably wouldn't agree with the way I do things, but it works for my horses and since they have done what they have with zero incidence of getting into trouble at rides, or following rides, any kind of rides (at home or competition), I would be foolish to change how I manage them now.

I do tend to stick with the same feeds for extended periods of time. I can't say that my horses have ever looked better or improved or the opposite of that, because of any one type of feed. The only supplement I've ever fed consistently is E/Se. I do try my best to give them good quality hay, some time in pasture each year, plenty of exercise, hay and free choice loose salt. The horses favorite feed is the Manna Pro Complete, and Equine Senior (Manna Pro or Purina). I like the Manna Pro products because they cost half as much as the other brands, and because it's low in molasses. Actually I can buy almost 5 bags of 50# Manna Pro feed versus two bags of 40# Purina feed, big difference. Oh, and sometimes I'll also use plain oats and mix that into the soaked beet pulp, but only after the ride starts.

Karen
in NV