Re: [RC] Sand Dune Pony - rides2far

No one else seems to have replied to this.  Yep, I read "Sand Dune
Pony", and anything else that had a horse in it :).

Didn't that also feature two appaloosas?  Raindrop was one and I
can't remember the name of the other off the top of my head.

The obvious... "Polkadot" :-)

Anyway, the old man who was the young boys mentor drove to a wagon

Yep, and his name was "Hatsy" because he had to wear a hat since he had a
soft spot on his head from being scalped!

Don't remember that the hooves did the "pony" any harm.  Supposed to
have just help with running in the sand.  Those old boys who looked
down on him probably helped start the "tiny foot" quarter horse
craze. <G>.

I couldn't resist mentioning this because not too long ago I was looking
at a horse with big round feet and Danny Herlong said, "He's a Sand Dune
Pony". I said, "You read that too?" and he said of course...he read every
horse book in the school library or something like that. It occurred to
me that a lot of us probably got where we are with some of the same
influences...so...here's the list I read *multiple* times.

All the C.W. Anderson books
Fury Stallion of the Broken Wheel Ranch
Sand Dune Pony
Golden Prize and other stories about Horses
ALL the Black Stallion Books over and over and over and over
Misty and all the other Margaret Henry books
My Friend Flicka and Thunderhead
Blue Ribbon Summer
Comanche of the Seventh
Melody Muttonbone & Sam, Hobby Horse Hill

I'd love to get a copy of each for my libary. Someone on RC already gave
me Blue Ribbon Summer.  Wish I could get a copy of "Golden Prize" . It
was a collection of short stories with some great illustrations.

Angie