RE: [RC] Hooves - Karen Standefer

It all has to do with the terrain.  I don’t think you’d find the U shaped feet in the Rockies.   My guess, from your description of the hooves, is that the horses are in sand most of the time.  Horses in sandy terrain grow higher heels (from the observations of Gene Ovnicek and others).  The heels sink down into the sand, so the mean hoof angle is still somewhere around 54 degrees, but on harder terrain their hoof angles would be higher with those longer heels.

From: ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:ridecamp-owner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Tom Sites
Sent: Tuesday, April 26, 2005 4:31 PM
To: ridecamp
Subject: [RC] Hooves

After a trip to the Outer Banks of NC and chasing down the wild horses there (and very embaressedly getting stuck in a sand dune, cause nobody told me before to take the air out of the tires  and i didn't know) , a unique question came to mind?  The hooves were of a U shape, like a mule, or horseshoes you throw at the pole and all the old shoes i've found from antiquity.

My buckets of old shoes kept for a future project are more like a C.

Where did the heels go to change a U into a C in the evolution to a riding horse?

This is probably all very simple, and there has to be an answer, and yet i fail to recognize it. ts