[RC] [RC] sheepskin sportsaddle cover - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Linda wrote:
> I ordered a sportsaddle cover made by Skito...
> ...Should I have gotten a merino wool cover?
> The ones I saw that came down to the stirrup
> were for western fenders and I didn't know if
> they'd work right over my dog-collar stirrup
> leathers.

sorry, Linda, don't know anything about the Skito
cover, but I do know that the standard merino wool
cover sold by Sporttack will work with the SS - even
though it's made for western fenders.

Personally I prefer merino for softness and would
worry that I'd still rub a little in shorts with a
30/70 blend. That said, the only long ride I did in
my merino wool cover in shorts (~25 miles?) I rubbed
from my own sweaty legs and little tiny prickly bits
of leaf/twigs, etc. It wasn't bad, but it was uncomfortable
enough that I've only ridden in shorts for short
training rides since).

That said, not all merino sheep are made the same.
The first cover I ever bought was a shorter cover
(again from Sporttack) and the wool on that is SO
thick it's lovely. Even after years of use, it's
still very thick and cushy. The newer, longer cover
I got just wasn't as nice wool - not as thick or cushy.
I vowed that I would never buy another merino cover
without being able to fondle it first to assess the
thickness/cushiness. ;-)

I should also mention that the long cover I have is
the "poor person's cover" - the one with extra seams
made out of many bits of sheep. I haven't had any real
problems with the extra seams rubbing, although the
part where the seam is isn't as well covered as the
rest of the cover.

But I digress. My full-length, western style sheepskin
cover has three velcro straps to wrap around the
fenders - I just folded the top strap back on itself
under the sheepskin (could never feel it under there),
then I wrapped the next strap loosely around the stirrup -
uh - collar <g>. Then the last strap kind of wrapped
through the top part of my EZ ride stirrups.

The whole leg part fit somewhat loosely, but never
really shifted much. The bit you're sitting on is
firmly tied on, the bottom is loop around the stirrup
to stop it riding up, and the loose leg part allows for
swing in the stirrup.

I'm now using the same sheepskin cover on my Barefoot
(with fenders) and it fits more or less the same way,
although that saddle has less rings, so it's harder
to keep the top part from shifting.

The only snag with the cover is that sometimes you
flip the back part over when you get on and have to
fiddle around pulling it out from under your butt
and pushing it back onto the back of the saddle.
But it's not a big deal.

> My saddle does have a cheyenne roll, though.
> It also doesn't cover the skirt so I can
> still use the rings easily.

The covers that made by Tammy that Karen Sullivan
describes have little cut outs for the rings, so
you can still see/use the rings. Sadly, however, her
covers also go over the top of the cheyenne roll so
you can't see it (as far as I'm concerned, the cheyenne
roll is one of the only things that makes the saddle
look less like a slug, so it seems like a shame to
cover it)(no flames, please, I have two SSs <g>)

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, California