[RC] Saddle pad question - abigail Madden

I use a supracor coolgrip pad.  My 17 year old gelding has a bump on his spine that the vet said has developed due to an old injury and arthritis setting in.  The bump is just past the saddle in the loin area and does not seem to bother him at all.  However, when we ride for an extended distance (20+ miles) the pad rubs the bump and makes it sore.  It only seems to be sore on the surface as I've squeezed and rubbed all around it and it does not appear to bother him.  But it does rub the spot hairless and creates a little sore.  If I use a different pad, like a wool pile, this does not occur.  However, we (Tiger & I) prefer the supracor for its overall cushioning and cooling and would like to continue to use that brand.  I've considered cutting a hole out of the pad around the area where it rubs, but if I do that I want to do it correctly and not completely ruin a $200.00+ saddle pad.  Anyone ever try this.  I've got to cut the hole cleanly and then smooth the cut edge so that the jagged cut area does not create a rub mark.  Craft knife and a propane torch?  There's also the possibility of buying another supracor with the cover and trying that.  Yes, its more $ but I can eat PB&J for a while as long as my buddy is comfy.

Comments, Suggestions?

abigail
Chico, CA