Re: [RC] [RC] bareback allowed? - April

Riding bareback is a valid way of riding. It is also legal under AERC rules. Some rides have stricter rules, so you should read the flyer to make sure it's not against the ride rules. Barefoot will probably be more of an issue than bareback. Simply because some rides specifically require hoof protection (in the form of shoes or boots). Check with the specific ride manager for any rules against either.

I've done a couple LDs bareback and I'd do it again if my bareback horse was my endurance horse. Alas, my endurance horse is not a bareback horse. He might be if I worked on it, but I don't. :-) He is more "touchy" and would need to be desensitized to bareback. My bareback horse is heaven to ride bareback (he's been ridden bareback most of his life and he is 16 now), but he is lazy and hates endurance training so I gave that up. (I no longer have the horse I did my bareback LDs on).

April
Nashville, TN
PS. Be prepared for smart comments like "hey, you forgot something!" Just look confused, then let the light dawn and feign shock at forgetting your saddle, but lament that the start is too close and no time to return for your saddle.

If you ride bareback, barefoot, with no bridle at all, then I think you'd have something going there. :-)