Re: [RC] Beet Pulp DO NOT FEED DRY - Chris Paus

Erica, have you read the myths of beet pulp on Susan G's website? it doesn't rob the gut of moisture anymore than hay or feed pellets do.

I agree that one should not feed the beetpulp pellets dry. They are like feeding rocks. But the shreds are fine for most horses. As others have said, the horses who choke on it, likely are prone to choke from other feed sources too.

The only horse I had who ever choked on beet pulp (and I've fed it to dozens of horses over the last 8years, wet and dry) was a youngster who choked on it wet. It was a nice soupy mash. He shouldn't have choked, but he must have been bolting his food. It did go down on its own though and we didn't need the vet.

chris

"Erica R. DeVoti" <ponyxprss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This is a post for anyone deciding to feed beet pulp.  I know the directions and many advocates say you can feed dry....BUT DO NOT FEED DRY!!!!  SOAK!!!!
In summary, there has been many testimonials of choke, and in addition to choke, beet pulp if fed dry, can absorb the moisture out of the gut and cause colic.  This has happened to me w/ beet pulp not soaked enough.  Please soak the beet pulp, don't pay attention to claims of feeding dry.
Erica DeVoti

Kansas State Motto: Ad Astra Per Aspera.. to the stars through difficult....

BayRab Acres
Paola KS
913-731-5947
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus