[RC] Mustang Roll - was Strausser vs. Natural - Long! - Linda Cowles

I switched to trimming based on Pete Ramey's methods in September because
He emphasizes reading the hoof based on wall flair, excess wall length and
the level of the live sole. He advocates (depending on the individual horse)
using a mustang roll and not trimming live sole, bars or frog unless it's
really necessary on a set up trim.

... can you elaborate on the "mustang roll".....the rest of it all
certainly makes sense to me... Karen

The most robust hoof shape for the type of riding we endurance riders tend
to do is modeled after the mustang hoof found on horses wandering in hard,
rocky areas like Nevada and Arizona.

In these environments, the edge of the hoof is constantly abraded - worn -
by the horses' constant movement. The edges of the hoof at the toe around to
the "quarters" (the sides of the hoof wall at the base of the hoof) become
rounded from constant movement through loose soil & rock. The toe is used to
dig in, so has a more noticeable roll.

www.hoofrehab.com has rollover images of a wide variety of domestic hooves
showing different degrees of roll.www.tribeequus.com/wildfeet.html has
pictures of cadaver feet taken from mustangs.  www.aanhcp.org/page14.html
shows a healthy, sound foot after 100 miles in 2 days in Arizona.

The rolled edge reminds me of the edges of a car tire or a running shoe. The
rounded edges enhance stability in off-road conditions, deflect rocks and
dirt and enhance traction.

While the term Mustang Roll refers to the rounded/beveled wall edge at the
toe and quarters, this hoof characteristic ultimately shapes the rest of the
hoof with movement, so "mustang roll" can refer to the natural mustang based
trim.

With activity, the "quarters" take on a scoop-shape that accentuates
traction, absorbs concussion and allows loose matter to escape to the sides
of the hoof as the hoof descends in a weight bearing stage. When you pick up
a natural hoof shaped by a gravel/loose rock environment, you see the scoop
in the sides. Horses that are worked on flat surfaces (like carriage horses)
don't have an accentuated scoop; horses bedded on loose pea gravel or worked
in rocky dirt develop more scoop.

The sole on a mustang rolled hoof becomes concave towards the frog (the
depth depends on breed and conditioning) and develops into a hard callous
over time, particularly around the edges. This is because the sole bears
significant weight as the hoof expands on impact to absorb concussion and
increase traction.

The heel/bar junction at the back of the hoof becomes calloused and shiny,
and the heel bulbs become very tough. The frog becomes tough, too, and
expands at the heels to absorb concussion and increase traction.

In soft, wet environments, this abrasion doesn't occur, so the hoof wall
flairs and chips off. The dead sole gets white and chalky so that minimal
activity will result in shedding. The frog gets soft, too, for the same
reason.

When we have horses in wet, soft areas or living conditions that don't
include dozens of miles of movement over rock and dirt each day, trimmers
shape that natural hoof manually, then we riders finish the trim by riding
or providing a hoof-building environment that includes rock, pea gravel or
other abrasive materials.

Basically, without an environment that naturally shapes a mustang roll, the
hoof will do the next best thing, which is flair, chip, crack and flake in
it's attempts to shed excess wall. So when you see cracks, white line
separation, wall flair, coronet distortion and chipping with shoes on? You
know that the hoof is trying to do it's best to get to a natural length.

This stuff seems like lots of work, but it's not. I spend 15 to 30 minutes
every 3 or 4 weeks trimming my own horses feet. Not including the riding, of
course! It's important. On a domestic horse, it's where the real trim
occurs. Speaking of which, I better get to work!!!

Linda Cowles
Certified Hoof Care Provider
HealthyHoof@xxxxxxxxxxx
Linda Cowles