[RC] re :choke - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Beth caglehead10@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

My experience with  a  Horse that  chokes is a little different than yours. My
Horses first experience with choke was about 10 years ago, I beleieve  it
started from a  injury  to the  Throat, as  a small dent suddenly appeared
near His Esophogus . I boarded Him at that time so I am guessing another Horse
kicked Him ?   After watching what He ate and when He would choke,  It came
down to Him not being able to eat anything that is Pelleted !!!     Anything
that was capable of "clumping" when mixed with His Saliva  would immediatly
cause an episode .     The last episode  was 5 years ago when i was teaching a
Yearling to Load, I had Put My Guy in the Trailer first and the Yearling
followed and I  completely forgot and Gave  My Guy and very small amount  (
about 4-6 ) of the Yearlings Pelleted Feed .  He  started to choke right away .
DUH ! Stupid Me , I could of kicked my self !!
The only thing He can eat Is Oats and  Shredded beet Pulp SOAKED.  He has not
had one eppisode since He was switched to the oats .    My experience was
different in that  My horse does NOT choke on Beet Pulp.  The shredded kind
does not clump . Any supplements  have to be powder or liquid .
I just keep all My Horses on the Oats/beet pulp diet   just to be safe and no
one has a problem .

just my 2 cents
Beth