Re: [RC] Choke - April

I will share my experience. I also have a choke-prone horse. I can feed Tanna dry beet pulp mixed with his endurance feed, but only in certain circumstances.  I only feed dry beet pulp (mixed with his endurance feed) when I feed on trail between vet checks (or while on a long training ride).

He has to be alone to eat. No other horses can be anywhere near him. The drier the feed, the more important this becomes.

Tanna gets damp beet pulp/feed mix in the morning. I put just enough water in to dampen all the pulp. I mix it well to make sure all pulp is damp, then feed it (I don't have a lot of time in the morning before going to work). In the PM, he gets the same mix (only a bit more) mixed with lots more water and soaked for a good 30 minutes. I put all his supplements (except those that have to be given twice daily) in his AM feed so that he doesn't leave it in water.

Tanna is always fed alone in a small paddock. Never with the other horse. If the other horse has to be in the paddock, too, I separate them by more than 20 feet (or on the other side of a wall) and tie the other horse.

Tanna is also fed in a large pan. This allows him to shift his food around to his own satisfaction. One thing I noticed about him is that he likes to pick the next bite. Sometimes I think he would inhale dry beet pulp while trying to find the perfect bite. So I quit feeding him large amounts in a bucket and most of his meals get dumped into a large shallow pan. If I have to feed in a bucket, I make sure the feed is soaked well and isn't too deep.

April
Nashville, TN