[RC] BLM mustangs - Jackie Causgrove

I would like to add a slightly different approach on when there is a significant injury or fatal accident and a mustang.  I understand that because of the controversy surrounding the mustang, that it is easy to sweep them into a catagory.  However, if one really looks at it, there are significant accidents and fatalities with domesticated horses.  Only with the domesticated horses, it is usually thought to be about one particular horse and not an entire breed.  And there in lies the problem of saying general terms about the mustangs.  There are many, many sucess stories regarding the adoptions and the gentling of the BLM mustangs.  It is because it is a sucess that it is not heard about.  Only the unforuntae accidents gain notice.  If all one heard about were  accidents involving QH, then people responses would be the same as to the mustang (of course, this is for an example only.  I could have easily picked Morgan etc).

I think that a balance is needed in order to make an informed opinion.  I have handled and been around several BLM mustangs  Quite frankly, they were easier to deal with than many domesticated animals.  It has become my belief that a great deal has to do with the gentling process.  And of course, just as there are grouchy Thoroughbreds, there will be grouchy mustangs too etc.

And much to my complete surprise, there has been many sucesses by newbies to horses.  My first response was the same as the other posters.  However, since that time, I have learned more about the mustang and why that would work.  I am not a complete wholehearted on board with it but have talked too many people who started out with their first horse as mustang to discount it.  There certainly have been many disesters from first time horse owners from domesticated horses too.

Jackie