Re: [RC] [RC] saddle woaws - Christina McCarthy

Christina McCarthy wrote:
Hi, unfortunately the saddle that I have been using on my Arabian Gelding no
longer fits him correctly

what makes you think it no longer fits and how and where does it not fit
His back has changed (I bought the saddle last July when he was 4 and he has grown up and out)and it is too long for him, there is rubbing on his back. I also had a saddle fitter come and check out his back and how the saddle is fitting.

and I am having to look for a new saddle with limited resources.

a problem but not having money doesn't lock you out of finding a great fitting saddle
Well. I have been searching around and most of the saddles are in the 1300-2500 dollar range.

The current saddle I have been using is the Wintec
   Endurance Pro with the Cair system and removable panels.

it's my understanding that this system is designed to fit almost everthing and also to be adjustable. Have you discussed your fit problems with a Wintec/CAIR expert? Maybe there is an adjustment that will solve your problems
I am working with the wintec/weatherbeta expert, and we are at the end of solution for this saddle

I would love to be able to afford the ortho flex cutback.....I have ridden in that saddle and
it was very comfortable.

comfortable for you or your horse? I'm getting the impression that you are also concerned with your own comfort which is good. But fit for the horse and fit for the rider and two entirely different aspects of saddle fit and shouldn't be confused. That said, you should never compromise on either! If you're uncomfortable, you can't ride well and your horse suffers almost as much as if the saddle didn't fit him/her.
Very True, however I am interested in fitting the horse first, then worry about if I like it. I am only concerned about how secure my seat is in the saddle....and if I am balanced correctly.

Does any one have any advice? Any reasonably priced used saddles out there? What do others use on their arabians?

Take a look at the arabians you see around you. Are they all shaped the same? NO! To assume that all arabians (or quarter horses or morgans, etc.) are shaped the same is just like assuming all whites are shaped the same or that all blacks or orientals, etc. are! (No, I am not racist!) You probably have a friend who wears the same shoe size you do but I'll bet if the two of your tried on the same shoe, it might fit one but not the other.
Well, I agree that arabians come in all sizes, however, I would still be interested in what others have found that works for them as a starting point.

Before you can hope to find a saddle that works, learn to really see the shape of your horse's back. This includes height of the withers - high, medium, low; shape of the barrel - round, flat, round in back & narrowing towards the girth, etc.; build of the horse - uphill (withers higher than croup), downhill (withers lower than croup); any asymmetries from side to side (usually in the shoulder but can also be in the hip and croup).
Quentin and Libby Llop's webpage has lots of really useful info about CAIR and FLAIR panels. Unfortunately Quentin is out of commission due to an injury but, you like your saddle, perhaps someone could exchange your CAIR panels for FLAIRs and help you adjust them.
Unfortunatly, the saddle is too long. so adjustments won't work in this case...
:(

http://home.earthlink.net/~qhll/ follow the links for explanations of the panels.
Good luck!
Laney