[RC] Fw: [ECPhotos] If you are concerned about America's wild horses and burros, - Jeanne Slominski

From another list:

From Associated Press:

First time under new law, six wild horses slaughtered
By SCOTT SONNER
Associated Press Writer

RENO, Nev. (AP) -- Wild horses rounded up on federal land in the
West and sold to a private owner have been slaughtered for the first
time since a new law went into effect, a government official told
The Associated Press on Thursday.

"This is something we regret and are very disappointed this has
happened," said Celia Boddington, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Bureau
of Land Management in Washington D.C.
"We make every possible effort when the horses are sold to make sure
the animals are placed in good homes for long-term care," she said.

The BLM is investigating this month's sale of six wild horses to an
Oklahoma man and their subsequent slaughter at a commercial packing
plant in Illinois, Boddington said.

In December, Congress repealed the 34-year-old ban on slaughtering
wild horses that run free across the West. The move has brought a
backlash from activists who want to reinstate full protection for
the mustangs.

Officials for the Humane Society of the United States learned of the
slaughter Thursday and protested to the BLM.

"There is no way this current system will work to protect horses,"
said Nancy Perry, the Humane Society's vice president for government
affairs.

"Until new legislation passes, our wild horses are going to be in
jeopardy," she said from Washington D.C.

Boddington said most of the horses rounded up and sold under the new
law come from Nevada, but "we cannot confirm definitely they came
from Nevada," she said.

For security reasons, BLM won't identify the holding facility where
the horses were kept before they were sold, Boddington said. "We are
concerned about possible threats," she told AP.

The BLM apparently was first made aware of the slaughter by an
inspector for the U.S. Agriculture Department's Animal and Plant
Health Inspection Service, Boddington said.
The horses were identified by federal brands, she said.

USDA officials in Oklahoma City did not immediately return a
telephone call seeking comment.

Perry said a man who identified himself as a minister in Oklahoma
told BLM he intended to use the horses in a program for troubled
youth and bought them April 15. The Oklahoma man has not been
identified.

The horses were sold for slaughter on April 18 to Cavel
International in Illinois, Perry said.
"The BLM says they prescreen the buyers but obviously that isn't
working," she said.

There was no answer Thursday night at Cavel International Inc. in
Dekalb, Ill.

The new law, written by Sen. Conrad Burns, R-Mont., was passed at
the urging of ranchers concerned about overpopulation of the horses
and their effect on the range. Burns did not immediately return
messages left Thursday night at his offices in Washington D.C.,
Helena and Bozeman.

The law dictates the sale of those horses that are older than 10
years or had been offered for sale under a separate BLM adoption
program three times without being purchased. BLM recently launched a
project aimed at selling such horses in groups to established horse
protection groups and sanctuaries.

"Obviously we are required by law to sell these horses. In the bill
of sale there is a statement that says the buyer will provide humane
care for the animals," Boddington said.
"But once the animals are sold, they are private property," she said.

Previously, under the adoption program, buyers had to keep the
horses for at least one year before they obtained the ownership
title to the animal, Boddington said.

BLM has sold and delivered nearly 1,000 horses since the new law
passed. Some 950 more have been sold and are awaiting delivery.

"This is the first time we're aware" any have been sold for
slaughter, Boddington said.

Everyone should please take the time to call your US Representative
and Senators tomorrow and ask them to co-sponsor the bills which
will re-instate federal protection from slaughter for Mustangs and
Burro's.
In the House, the bill is HR 297 and in the Senate the bill is S-
576.

Please follow up your calls, by faxing or emailing a letter asking
them to cosponsor, along with a copy of this article. The article is
available here
http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/nation/20050421-1741-nv-
wildhorses-slaughter.html

Also, please make it a point to conact Senator Burns to let him know
how outraged you are and that he is personally responsible for this
tragedy.

Senator Burns
Phone 202-224-2644
Fax 202-224-8594

Gail Vacca
National Horse Protection Coalition
www.horse-protection.org

Reposted by Eve in hopes that it makes you (us) angry enough to
actually contact those people who are supposed to represent us and
tell them what you think.

Yahoo! Groups Links