[RC] stable fed grass clippings in place of hay! OMG! - Sherman

I have 2 horses on nice pasture but there's no vetch in it, so, yesterday I picked a 17 gallon muck bucket packed tight & spread it in the pasture. They gobbled it up in no time. It's still cool enough (and didn't last long enough) that I didn't have to worry about  fermentation. However, a couple of years ago (on a hot day) my neighbor was mowing near their pasture and their horse stuck it's head under the fence & ate rapidly fermenting clippings & colicked (didn't die, but cost $$$). Temperature makes a big difference.

Kathy
Grass Valley, CA