[RC] Papers and horses - KYielding

Ed said (in part) "...Since, for a number of reasons mares are only rarely spayed, I can see good reason to not sell a mare with papers if you feel she should not be bred on."

I wonder if our standards for what is breedable should be based more on what is a very good endurance mare as opposed to what would win in the halter ring.  I ride a registered Arab mare that probably would never place in a halter class but she has so many good qualities as a riding horse that it is a shame she may never reproduce.  She has great legs, a great body, great recoveries, and best of all, a great mind.  Maybe someday if I ever start riding another young mare I will try breeding this one - because she is so good in so many ways.

As to registration papers, I have always felt they should go with the horse.  We were POA breeders for 30 plus years and we always helped new owners of a registrable POA get their papers.  I don't care how many irresponsible owners were involved in the meantime, that horse does have a better shot at a good life if the papers are included.  But, woe be until the horse trader that tries passing off an unknown horse with a set of papers of any horse I have known and that does happen - all too often.

Kathleen & Maxi