Re: [RC] head tossing crazy horse - - Chris Paus

Ed, I had just the opposite problem with a horse we got. Zab was 5 when we got him. he'd had little training and riding, and what he had wasn't great. The poor horse would back up 100 feet to keep from having a bit put in his mouth. When I finally got one in, he had the most worried look on his face. Turns out he hates snaffles. I tried 10 different very mild snaffle bits. All cause him to worry himself sick. I found out that his previous owner had started him in a very badly fitted TT bit (gaaaa I hate those bits... they should all be melted down and made into something useful.)

I put a low ported kimberwicke in his mouth and he quit fighting and fussing and went very nicely for me. I guess he hates the broken bits from a bad experience. Even after 4 years with us, I tried a mild snaffle again on him the other day and got the same reaction as before.

chris

Sisu West Ranch <ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Sometimes it is just that the horse had a bad/frustrating experience with a
certain type of equipment. My first Arabian had had a couple of less than
skilled owners who wanted him to be a western pleasure show horse. The
result was that he had a real fear of the curb bit he had been "punished"
with.

The switch to a snaffle cured that.

Kansas State Motto: Ad Astra Per Aspera.. to the stars through difficult....

BayRab Acres
Paola KS
913-731-5947
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus