[RC] Vaccinations - Lani M Olson

If this appears twice, my apologies, server indicating first one did not go through.
Lani

Both my mares have had increasing problems with vaccinations. This year we split them up, did West Nile and rabies one day, then a few days later did a 4-way. One mare swelled some from the rabies shot, neither had a problem with West Nile. But it's been five days since the 4-ways and both mares are going through periods of neck stiffness so severe they can't get their heads down more than a couple of inches. I've been using bute and DMSO per my vet, thought they were okay and today one again cannot lower her head. And this year we did the neck, last year the pecs and I ended up cold-water hosing one horse for two days due to swelling, vet said if we use the thigh they'll just be lame (though they could lower their heads to eat and drink comfortably). My question here, I talked to the vet and she suggests next year we "pre-load" them with I believe she said dexamethasone and the reaction would not be as severe. Anybody doing this and does it really help?
Lani