From: Karen L. [mailto:klynd47@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Monday, April 18, 2005 10:18 AM
To: healthyhoof@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Request for info on pea gravel loafing pen

Hi Linda,

I would be interested in receiving your information on building a pea gravel loafing pen.  My horse has very sensitive soles.  I just started padding his front feet, although I didn't want to do that.  The pea gravel sounds interesting.

Thanks,
Karen

Linda Cowles <healthyhoof@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> 7 year old is getting out and riding my endurance mare, so I
> am finishing the green mare and getting her legged up. Shoot,
> after a month her feet are worn. Heel growth isn't keeping
> up. I'm dreading shoeing her as that is another 85 bucks, and
> the farrier and I love her feet.

The one thing that's really making a big difference with some of my horses
is an idea that Pete Ramey suggested, a loose pea gravel loafing area to
toughen feet, particularly feet that are soft because of seasonal moisture.
One of my clients hopped on the idea and I'm seeing great feet in just a few
weeks. The pea gravel really massages and toughens the sole.

I can email you more information on building a pea gravel loafing pen if you
want.

For protection, the Boas work good, but the new Epics are supposed to be
better. I'm going to try some out for the first time today... I don't need
them at this point, but need to find out how well they work.

Later - Linda

Linda Cowles
Certified Hoof Care Provider
707-621-0240 - Cell