Re: [RC] Allergy to Dixie Midnight? - Chris Paus

My horse Star cannot have anything synthetic on his back or he gets nasty bumps like heat scald. He's lost all the hair off his back from synthetic pads and it's taken weeks to grow back. It's horrid. yet, I can use a neoprene girth on him, go figure. But I have to use real wool or cotton saddle pads and nothing else.chris

Kathleen <kathleenmarie@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I just tried my new Dixie Midnight pad on my horse today for the first time.  She became very fussy about ½ into our training ride and got worse and worse.  She switched her tail and twitched her skin like she had flies on her and kept shaking and trying to rub on everything and everyone.  We cut the ride short and headed back to the barn.  When I untacked her there were little bumps all over her back like tiny hives.  Is it possible my horse is allergic to the material the pad is made from?  Has anyone else had this problem?  Should I try washing the pad with vinegar or warm water and then try it on her again?  I am a bit hesitant to put it back on her as allergies sometimes react more strongly to a second exposure.  I am concerned about ending up with hives that don?t allow me to ride her.

Kathleen and Promise (euhhhhh! This itches!)

Kansas State Motto: Ad Astra Per Aspera.. to the stars through difficult....

BayRab Acres
Paola KS
913-731-5947
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus