[RC] colic and the fragile horse - Mary Carroll

Thank you for this information.  I will talk with my regular vet when he gets back from wherever every vet in Southern OR was going this weekend!  The laproscopic surgery sounds like a good fix.  He has not had problems with me in the 2+ years I have had him but he was very neglected when I bought him so who knows?

Thanks again, Mary

No, it?s a fairly tried and true technique.  You don?t come across it too often, because nephrosplenic entrapments aren?t as common as other types of colic.  Epi and exercise don?t always work, though, but I?m very glad it did for you and Woody.

 Since forewarned is forearmed, you might consider taking Woody for ultrasound evaluation at OSU or Bend, especially if he ever pulls this trick on you again.  Not often, but some horses that do it once like to do it again.  There?s a reasonably simple laparoscopy procedure to close the ?loop? the bowel is sneaking through once and for all.  I don?t know cost, but it?s not open abdomen and a *whole* lot less than colic surgery.  They just incise a tiny little window in the side and go in with a camera, a flashlight and some suture material.  I saw it done at Colorado State and it was pretty slick.

Good luck!

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS