[RC] Chicken Chase I 2005 (long), Pt 1 - April

Wednesday, Daniel and I packed up and headed for Henryville, Indiana, and Clark State Forest. Time for Chicken Chase. Our traditional 1st ride of the season. I love the trails and the camp and the atmosphere at this ride. It is a must-do ride.

We arrived in good time and set up camp. 45 minutes after arriving, Tanna was settled in his corral and we dozed for a little bit before getting supper. Only a few other trailers were there. Four or five other early arrivals.

Thursday was a lazy day. In the morning, I saddled up and took Tanna for a quick ride to look at the beginning and end of the 55 mile ride. We rode out at a trot and came blazing back at a good canter. A nice little pick-me-up to expend some energy, but not too much.

The afternoon was spent getting ready for the Friday ride. Syringes loaded with applesauce, electrolytes, Neigh-Lox, and/or probiotics and carefully labeled for easy identification at the vet checks. The vet checks would be away checks, so I packed my new crew bag with everything we'd need and looped one of the handles around the 3 buckets I'd need (drinking, sponging, eating). I checked in, paying for both days up front. Optimistic that we would be able to complete Friday and start Sunday. Tanna vetted in perfectly. More trailers pulled in all day, bringing new and old friends to camp.

The ride meeting was around dark. No real surprises. 22 miles for the first loop out to the vet check. A loop around Shaw Lake for a 12 mile loop back into the away check. Then 21 miles back to camp for the finish. 60 pulse. Tack on/off optional (I almost always remove tack). 40 minute holds. 7 AM start time.

After the ride meeting, I finished last minute preparations, took Tanna for a walk around camp and retired for the night, setting my alarm for 5 AM.

Before we get to the actual ride, a little background on my horse, Tanna. He has 200 endurance miles (as do I). He has had a very poor track record with eating and drinking at endurance rides. Last year at BSF, I tried adding probiotics to stimulate his appetite. While Tanna ate some at BSF, he did not eat and drink very well, still. In January, after a gastro-scope that suggested potential ulcers, I started Tanna on Neigh-Lox.

On Thursday at ridecamp, Tanna was only picking at his food. After I complained to my husband, he suggested to dose again with Neigh-Lox (he'd gotten some in his AM feed, but hadn't eaten much of it). So I grabbed a syringe I'd filled and dosed him with about 2/3 oz of Neigh-Lox and 1/3 oz of probiotics. Within minutes, Tanna was grazing on his hay and beet pulp and kept that up the rest of the day. Thrilled? Yes, I was. Absolutely. Tanna also drank from the water trough when taken to vet in. Optimistic signs, but would it last?

Overnight, I awoke around 1:30 AM and fell out of bed to take Tanna for another walk and check on his feed situation. I was pleasantly surprised to find the flake of hay I'd left for him largely devoured and his water level down a half gallon or so. After walking around, I put another flake of hay out and returned to bed.

I slept soundly until the alarm rang at 5 AM. Maybe not worrying about Tanna eating helped me to sleep??

I got up, tired, but eager for the ride. I made all my preparations and was mounted and ready a few minutes before the start. I started the ride with Elizabeth, Ana (Elizabeth's daughter) and another lady, sorry, I can't remember her name! We thought we might be able to ride together as we all planned to go slow. We started shortly after the main crowd and walked for the first mile or so, then picked up a strong trot. Tanna was eager and knew riders were ahead of us, but kept to a strong trot without too much of a temper tantrum. Very good boy!

Within the first 5 miles, it was apparent that the 4 of us were not going to be able to ride together. We were just going at different speeds. Tanna was giving me a good strong trot and I wasn't about to slow him down to stay with other riders. He would just fight me and expend too much energy that way. Might as well use the trot to get on down the trail while the getting was good. I knew hills were coming up that would slow us down to barely a crawl sometimes. So one of the riders waited for us to pass and we continued on. Soon, though, Elizabeth and Ana also dropped back as Elizabeth's gelding kept wanting to canter rather than trot and Elizabeth determined he should not canter so much. So Tanna and I continued on alone for awhile, alternating cantering, trotting and walking as the terrain and my judgement dictated.

At the bottom of a steep switchback hill, I paused to take a pit stop and was pleased when Tanna also took advantage of that opportunity. We continued on and when we stopped a bit later for me to administer electrolytes (didn't happen due to a syringe malfunction) and the probiotics/Neigh-Lox mix (this did happen), Elizabeth and Ana caught up and passed me. I mounted and overtook them again and stayed with them for awhile before pulling away again. We continued this pattern for the remainder of the 1st loop.

to be continued...

April
Nashville, TN