[RC] Chicken Chase I / 55 - RISTREE

Amy Whelan and Bill Wilson and crew did a wonderful job with this ride.  Our first trip to southern Indiana, and we'll be back.

The 55 miler on Friday was advertised as tougher than the Saturday/Sunday 50s, and it was no cakewalk.  When you weren't climbing, you were descending, and much of the trail was fairly technical, with twisting and turning and switchbacks and tree roots and such.  But it was so outrageously beautiful that I managed not to curse (until perhaps the last climb before reaching camp).  Redbuds in full bloom, daffodils, trees budding, and gorgeous views throughout.

If I recall correctly, Lois, Sue and Connie all tied for first.  Earle was first HW.  Connie got BC.

The weather was absolutely perfect.  60s and 70s and bright sunshine, so I have my first sunburn of the season.

Highly recommended.  Two thumbs up from these Yankees.  There was even a porta potty perfectly placed about 17 miles (or so) into the first leg of the trail, with TP and all, and as long as you weren't modest (all the windows were shot out), it ranked as one of the best, most comfortable pit stops I've ever made on course!

Good to see some old chums and catch up, and get acquainted with a few new ones.  We'll be back!  Thanks to all for their hard work in making it possible.

--Patti Stedman (NY)