Re: [RC] Cloning horse - Lysane Cree

Cloning certainly raises some intellectual property issues. Kind of like the Harvard mouse. So who owns the DNA?  Presumably the owner of the horse owns the DNA, since you own the horse in all its entirety whether that be the ears, the tail hair, the hooves, the sperm, the eggs or the DNA. Unless of course a contract is signed transferring ownership of one aspect, such as DNA, to a third party (such as the cloning company). That could get more complicated...then it would be a joint/shared ownership type of deal. Or unless you throw away his mane/tail hair...then its garbage to which you've relinquished ownership and ....can't you just see someone going through the garbage dump to find some hairs with roots still attached? LOL

Its all a *little* scary to me. Sure, I can appreciate the scientific aspect of actually being able to do it and it is amazing at what can be achieved these days....and I guess I can see wanting to clone a gelding that turns out to be a champion since he can no longer reproduce BUT  it also raises so many questions! Legal, moral, ethical, etc...where are the limits? should there be limits?...

\What I love about my pets is
\not what they look like -- and as discussed there's no
\guarantee of that with cloning due to developmental
\traits -- so why clone to create another life at such
\expense when there are so many unwanted and abandoned
\animals out there looking for homes?
Exactly my thoughts.
And I also wonder about genetic diseases and limiting the gene pool. Sure, cloning is expensive now, but that is the case with most new breakthroughs. Then eventually it becomes more affordable and more people get into it.

Lysane