[RC] Thanks for your ideas re. West Nile, vaccinations, etc - Lari Shea

Thanks for all your ideas re. West Nile inoculations, and vaccinations in general.  I always used to use the pectoral muscles for strangles inoculations, as they often cause swelling and pain, although we've never had an abscess result, and I now usually use the intra-nasal vaccine.  I had not had adverse reactions to West Nile in the past, so just took the easy way in giving them in the neck last year.  However, I wouldn't want my horses to suffer abscesses in the pectoral muscle, either, particularly since they all work for a living!   So, the horses who had reactions last year probably won't be receiving WN this year.  I'm lucky to live next to the ocean, with practically no mosquitos ever, unless we ride 'way inland to certain areas.

BTW, one vet with whom I conferred thought that having 2 abscesses out of 60 horses was about normal, while two others agreed with me that any abscess is extremely abnormal  although it certainly can happen.  (I've been immunizing 60-80 per year for 25 years, and have never before had a horse develop an abscess.) The vet who thought 2 out of 60 was normal advocates swabbing first, which the other two and I don't.

Lari

"What unites us all is a love of the out-of-doors, a spirit of adventure, and a passion for horses!"

Lari Shea                       http://www.horse-vacation.com
Ricochet Ridge Ranch    707-964-7669 ranch phone
24201 North Highway One 707-964-9669 home office ph/fax
Fort Bragg, CA 95437
Riding Vacations on the Mendocino Coast with lodging at unique B&B Inns
                 International Riding Vacations