RE: [RC] Immunization Reactions - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

What are your thoughts about injecting in the horse’s butt as compared to the chest ??  That is what was recommended to me due to my gelding’s previous reactions to his immunizations.  This year, he was off for more than a week from his shots.  It seems to be getting worse each time.  Couldn’t/Wouldn’t move his back legs any more than he had to (reeeeally stiff for at least 3 days).  We are talking that he barely moved.  At first I could hardly force him to move.  He was eating, drinking and pooping fine.  Any thoughts that you choose to share about this would be awesome.

Here is why I like vaccinating in the chest versus other locations:

1)       If they get muscle sore, then it’s easier to work out a knot in the chest with light exercise, including lunging; whereas, it’s next to impossible to work the neck muscles sufficiently to loosen up a big knot.  You can also work out a sore knot in the hindquarters, but can be so stiff, it’s hard to get them to even move (as you described), plus they move so ‘off’ that everyone is staring at you like you’re a monster for riding a lame horse.

2)       If, God forbid, the injection site abscesses, then there’s no better spot for drainage than an area that naturally points down.  If the abscess then heals to leave a scar, I’d much rather have a big divot on the chest than on the neck or butt.

3)       The back end kicks.  The front end jumps, but rarely strikes at the needle-poker (and is easier to dodge).  The worst will usually rear (fairly easy to step away from, assuming you’re standing to the side, which is much safer), or back up (easy to go with until they settle down), or sometimes jump forward, also easy to go with.  Yesterday, I had a goofy Lusitano stallion that did a lovely levade followed by a capriole, but that was unusual. <g>

4)       Horses that have gotten needle shy start dancing around when you touch their neck, but aren’t expecting a fast poke at the chest and don’t react nearly as violently.  If I’m poking the hindquarters and they react violently, it’s harder to dodge (because some swing away from you and the witchier ones will swing *into* you).  Or, they may just kick.  Did I mention that the front end doesn’t kick?

5)       If the horse is needle shy, it takes two people to vaccinate; one to control the head, one to poke behind.  If you’re vaccinating in the chest, I can control the head with one hand (sometimes accessorized with a shank) and the other hand injects.  If you’re trying to get close to a horse that is doing his best to get away from you, I can usually catch up with the front end, because evasive horses usually will turn on the forehand (swinging their butt in a circle while the front end stays more or less in place).  I have to be a lot faster on my feet to catch up with the butt when it’s migrating in circles, and that’s tiring when you have forty horses scheduled that day. J

Anyway, JMO.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS