Re: [RC] too much oomph - Chris Paus

Erinn, there are those Arabs out there who don't require hand holding and are as calm as the calmest horse of any other breed. Very much depends on the individual. I have one high octane Arab, one low octane version and one in the middle. The "low octane" one is slower, but is really a better endurance horse in many ways. He takes good care of himself, he eats and drinks well on the trail, and always comes in to the vet checks with good metabolics. He'll probably never be a Top 10 horse because he refuses to be pushed beyond his capabilities, but he'll collect a lot of miles over his lifetime because he keeps putting one foot in front of the other and gets to the finish line with little or no fuss.

My main ride is the high octane horse. He could tear up an endurance course if I let him. Unfortunately, he's stuck with a mid to back of the pack rider. He has brilliant rides and then has rides when he is a problem child.,

I'm grooming a home bred mare for my next mount. She is the one in the middle,. Less reactive than the hot gelding, faster than the calm gelding.

There are some bloodlines known more for calm and others known more for speed, etc. But within each line are individuals that can vary widely. I'm a heavyweight, my sister could be a poster child for famine relief. Two individuals who came from the same genetic stock, but are as different as night and day in physical, mental and emotional makeup. Same thing happens with horses.

If you truly want an Arab for endurance who isn't a pogo stick, they are out there. And mine's NOT for sale!

chris

Erinn Clevinger <scooterc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've got three endurance prospects: 1 is ready to go, 1 is 4 with basic training (NSH/Arab with an amazing floating trot) and 1 is just a couple of steps above feral.  I would trade any one/combination for a steady horse that can relax on the trail and doesn't mind riding out alone.  It's the relaxing part that is important to me.  I made a revolutionary discovery today for myself.  I really just want to ride.  I admire the Arab spirit and can handle it as a rider fine, but I don't think it's what I want out of endurance.  I want to "babysit" less and ignore birds more.  I don't know if that makes sense to any of you out there.  So here's my point, if anyone would like a horse with "brio", I've got some.  And if anyone has a horse without enough, I'd be happy to trade.  I'm in Maryland but am willing to travel some.
    Please don't construe this as Arab-bashing or generalization.  I am specifically referring to my guys and my preferences.  I would love an Arab.  Just one that doesn't require so much hand-holding!
    Erinn Clevinger,
    getting serious about endurance after years of wanting to

Kansas State Motto: Ad Astra Per Aspera.. to the stars through difficult....

BayRab Acres
Paola KS
913-731-5947
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus