RE: [RC] West Nile Virus - Adverse Reaction - Susan E. Garlinghouse, D.V.M.

Subject: Re: [RC] West Nile Virus - Adverse Reaction

Immediate disclaimer:  I am not a VET or any other medical practicionar.

What you experienced sounds to me to be associated with percing the skin and dragging bacteria into the wound, not WN vaccine.  Or in otherwords, it was just pure bad luck that the absesses happened with WN vaccine they could have happened with any injection.

Ed

Ed & Wendy Hauser

I agree with Ed (and I *am* a vet, <vbg>)  You will occasionally get an abscess any time you punch through the skin layers.  There are arguments both for and against swabbing first with a disinfectant --- one side says it just puts surface dirt and bacteria into suspension, thus more easily poking it down into the muscle; the other side says it at least wipes off some of the crud, if not truly disinfects it.  In reality, disinfectants don’t sterilize the surface instantly, it takes 5-10 minutes and even then isn’t perfect.

We still swab the skin with some dilute Nolvasan before injections, and my preference remains injecting into the pectoral muscles --- soreness is easier to work out with even light lunging or riding, abscesses drain much better due to gravity afforded by the ventral position; and worst case, any resulting scars are less obvious on the chest than on the neck.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM, MS