[RC] 1st minidonkey update - Laurie Durgin

Well called vet. But he is 'booked' till the 22nd. and they said it sounded more like a farrier problem and I was doing right. He could ocme then if I could get farrier to come and tranq. Him. I said 'fat chance" I could get them both here,and they don't care for each other as it is.

Got his fronts cleaned again. there is a round 1/4 hole or bigger in front of the frog and front of the hoof, I really didn't see much or any thrush (he is turned out 24/7 but we have had lots of mud, though the stalls are open so they can come in on dry mats). . Toes are turning up some and he is sort of walking on his heels, back of feet more. Acts ouchy on the gravel , but ok on the grass. Has stubbed off front with sort of hole in the horn in the turned up long part of hoof on the other foot.. My estimate is he needs an inch or more off the fronts. I have been swabbing betadine on a spongepad (one of those sponges on a plastic rod to clean your dishes with, holds out 1/2 cup maybe.) He isn't as lame as he was 2 weeks ago--which is when we figure he had the/an abcess.... I haven't kept him up after that couple days....
Have called the farrier--he may or may not get back to me. He is a bit tempermental , was great about it last time, but when i first got him , gave me a "not trimming a JA....."-- So I figure it is a tossup.....
I may try the snubbing thing. Trick is usually I have to do this alone.Try to do the cleaning while he is eating. And have worked him with carrots and approach and retreat , and he had gotten better. But the backs are still stuck , I can pick up for a second , if I try to lift them up at all, he kicks back. Think I may need my helmet ,vest and a face guard......
Soaking may be nigh impossible, unless I could lift him into the trough.....
If he already blew the abcess, which is what I think the holes are, I am concerned it could involve something else? Only had one abcess before and it was in the edge of the toe,not the sole. But rest of sole is even, just this indentation that is sore when I clean around it.
(all this while he is trying to get his foot away--He lets me clean the fronts, but not probing that hole, so I try and , squirt,sponge the whole foot, while chucking carrots into his feet bucket to keep him occupied.)
Or since it is blown, should I be keeping him stalled and trying to keep it dry? For how long? He walks 'gingerly' so I know he is not real comfortable--yet he still plays with the 4 yr old....
My Kellons !st aid , doesn't say, much < My "be your own vet sometimes", book and Horse medical encyclopedia tell me how to treat a 'suspected' abcess, but not aftercare, if they are still seemed sore two weeks later......