[RC] Fw: ridecamp post about mule/donkey foot problem - larry Miller

Rob claims that he is puter illiterate so I am posting this for him.  Laurie, feel free to contact me and I will get you in touch with Rob.  He has a lovely mule and I can't wait to ride with him on trail.  jcmiller@xxxxxxxxxxxx   Jeanie
Subject: ridecamp post

Jeanie,

Please post this on ridecamp in response to; (abscess/donkey; Vet or Farrier? - Laurie Durgin)

Dear Ms Durgin,

I am new to endurance, and plan to ride my first 25LD in June. I read ridecamp to gain as much knowledge about the sport as I can. I don't post, as there is little I could add, and I recognize that the posts on ridecamp come from those with years of experience. This vast pool of knowledge need not be contaminated by my inexperience.

I felt compelled to respond to your post. I own and ride a Tennessee Walker Mule named Annabelle. Now that spring is here we ride for an hour or two everyday, sometimes twice a day. She had WLD when I bought her. I have treated her for over one year with the help of both Vet. and Farrier. Her hooves are now sound, strong, and ready to compete. Should you call Vet. or Farrier? Call both your problem sound worse than mine. Find a good horse Vet. with experience with this problem and a Farrier who is willing to learn and work side by side with your Vet.

Mules and Donkeys are different then horse. The photo you've found of horses won't look the same. Mules and Donkeys are cursed with stronger and harder hooves than horses. Normally a blessing but with a bacterial or fungal infection under the hoof wall it is a curse. The infection that crumbles the hoof wall of a horse will grown undetected under the donkey's hoof sometimes all the to the coronary band. Even Vets and Farriers will often fail to diagnose the problem because the strong hoof wall may show no sign of damage until it too late.

Mule and Donkeys take a lot of time and patients to gain their trust. Sometime you can't take that time. Failure to take prompt action could end up with a donkey that trusts you that is permanently lame. This is not just another horse it's a Donkey and therefore worth an extra effort.

Please feel free to contact me, Jeanie has my Email address.