Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.2519 - Zephyr Arabians

From: "rides2far@xxxxxxxx" <rides2far@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   Arabian Stud Fees are just too
high

I think we're slowly moving towards having
"endurance blood lines". It just takes a while to
have the few mares & stallions who compete have a
career, retire, reproduce and wait for the babies to
compete. Problem is they last so long! A good
endurance mare is able to compete until she's
practically too old to breed, unlike race mares who
retire at 4 and are bred. It would be hard to want
to give a really good endurance mare a year off to
havea  foal. We may have to spend more time dealing
with the "she's a full sister to this successful
gelding" type descriptions and get our foals from
the mares bred to do endurance who never get to.

"Endurance blood lines" are already out there!  For
instance, my stallion has not had an opportunity
himself (yet) to compete -- I got him last year at age
15 and his previous owner has been in poor health for
many years so she wasn't doing anything with him
except breeding a few mares.  However, she (the
breeder) has produced many endurance horses in her 35+
year breeding career, including BRR Aurber Lights
(paternal half-brother to my stallion) & was
co-breeder of RT Muffin (maternal half-brother to my
stallion's sire).  He's also the only intact paternal
half-brother to Heidi's Aur Bold Tribute who has a
pretty darn impressive endurance record himself -- and
was also a horse started in his teens. Of the foals my
stallion has sired, several are endurance horses
themselves and I know of others that will be out
competing soon.  At age 15 my stallion came to me
completely untrained and took to trail riding like a
natural.  And he is simply awesome to ride!   He has
"endurance blood lines" and it shows when you get on
him and head down the trail. :)

Please Reply to: Paula Juergens
cowlitztractor@xxxxxxx or=
 ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Oh, that and=
 seeing real Arabs, not goofy, no bodied or brains,
show horses,=
 very refreshing,,  I'll look forward to Grizzly! PS
anyone=
 interesting in sharing the cost of diesel? I've got
room for a=
 few more horses in my big new Trails West.

Where are you located Paula??  I can't make it to
Grizzly <pout> but will be going to other PNER rides.

From: Chris Paus <paus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC]   Stud Fees

In almost every case, stud fees for a good endurance
stallion will be a bargain compared to the stud fees
for a Scottsdale champion, and you'll have a better
chance of getting a decent riding horse, JMHO. I
haven't seen too many Scottsdale champions that I
would take on an endurance ride.

LOL!  You got that Chris!

~Nicole

*      Zephyr Arabians & KattWmn Web Design      *
*         http://www.zephyrarabians.com          *
*             http://www.kattwmn.com             *
*Native Californian Newly Transplanted to the PNW*
* You have the right to remain silent, anything  *
* you say can be misquoted and used against you. *