[RC] 2005PAC: Back In Pinamar - John Teeter

We're back in Pinamar (actually, we arrived yesterday after having met Leonard
(Liesens) and Carol at the BA airport. Nice to see them ... nice to be back in
the country - as compared to in the city. Our friendly internet cafe which
serves great coffee! and to see all the friends and acquaintances cluster yet
again for another endurance week! It is Argentina - It is the 2005 Pan American
Endurance Championship!

Steph is at her siesta. An early ride this morning (and a brief early air
flight as El Gordita has developed a bit of an attitude!!). The flight was
brief - thank goodness for all the (DEEP SOFT) sand of Pinamar as she landed
well - but the impact force was a disaster for the only pair of levis she
brought with her -- Bombachas for the rest of the trip I think!

We today toured Haras Las Cortedaras - home of Estanar Endurance! Steph and I
had the pleasure of staying there earlier and to return in the beginnings of
autumn with friends from afar (Grace Ramsey, Jan Worthington, Sheika Madiya and
her brother along with Lenoard/Carol and Steve and Dianh Rojek) and to see
again this years crop of foals - grown older and bolder and not needing their
mares nearly as much as only a short 3 weeks ago!

And the PanAm venu is coming together. The horses are pretty much all stabled
now. A bit spread out and a little chaotic. The biggest problem (by far:( has
been the difficulty faced by people getting horses into Argentina for the
competition. Team Brazil, with 18 horses on board, made the 3000 km trip ---
but all the horses are in questionable shape because of negligence by the
Argentine immigration authorities.  I'm sure more will be said later - but they
were 30 hours w/o food/water during the final phase of the trip! Dr. Henrique
Gonzoles and his crew have been day/night working out the problems this caused
with the horses. A bad situation. Other countries made the entry with less
difficulty, but all I've spoken with ere negatively impacted in some way it
seems. It was not intentional on anyone (connected with the events) part. But
the immigration bureaucracy (including their vets) really did not do their jobs
it seems.

I hope that any ill effects of this will not color the competition but do feel
for the Brazilian horses!!

On a lighter not - the hay at the facility is good and there is plenty of
water. The trails are marked. The weather is early fall (@70df and sunny when
it's not foggy (early morning) or raining - every 4-5th day). It' is as yet a
little early to know what to expect (rain or shine) on race day -- tomorrow....

A starters list and a few picts later tonight - more coffee!! less partying!!

everyone here says hig to everyone there!!

john (and steph too:)

(p.s. although this is horsey week in Pinamar this is still Argentina and the
other room in the cafe has the tv full blast with the weekly football match!
it's a packed house and very vocal! great fun! They think me a bit strange to
be working away in here while there's a game on....)