[RC] AHA Trail Ride - don't think I'll go... - Jonni

On those large group trail rides, it is common for them to have "rules" for
feeding and watering the horses. Consider this. Many riders who go to some
of these, do little real trail riding. The organizers etc., need to consider
the levels of ALL the riders out there, and how familiar they are with the
care of a hot, tired horse. The last thing they want, is to be dealing with
a colic out in the middle of nowhere. I asked about such rules for a ride in
CA once, and they commented that they can tell those who know how to take
care of their horses, when to water, how much etc., and usually just let
them do their thing, while they keep a closer eye on those who look new to
all of this.  I remember as a kid, always being told to not water my pony if
she was hot.  I would also guess that at the end of a days ride like those
group rides, our distance horses would probably not be as hot and tired as
some of the horses who maybe are usually a show horse.

If the ride sounds interesting, contact management, and ask them more on
these rules for feeding and watering, and see if the reply makes sense, and
something you could work with, or if it is indeed a ride you want to avoid.

Jonni