[RC] Cuyama XP 2005 - Sharlene Roberts-Caudle

First, a sincere "thanks" to all of you who shared
information and advice about the Cuyama ride--it
helped to make our experience great!

This was a wonderful ride and if you'd like to hear
about my experiences at my first multi-day, and my
second ride altogether, read on.

The 2004 Lake Oroville Vista 50 was our first and,
thanks to the generous advice of RideCampers, it was
fun and successful for all of us (including husband,
10 year old, 2 year old, and puppy).  My Polish Arab
gelding is in his teens, raced a couple of years,
stood at stud until 10, went to RMTC until I bought
him in '99.  I was really surprised at how much he
must have learned at the LOVE ride.  There, he wanted
to shove his nose up the tail of the horse in front,
but when he got in the lead he dragged along more
slowly.  So, we went along behind another horse which
worked out just great.  We finished fine and he was
happy, well hydrated enough and with good gut sounds.
He didn't drink as well as I would have liked and
looked kind of gaunt for a week after.
    It was a different story at the Cuyama ride!  He
drank well the entire time, and ate really well.  I
was able to stay off of the next horse's tail, when we
passed groups of horses he moved right along, knowing,
I guess, that there were more up ahead?  We rode
Saturday and Monday, so rested on Sunday while the
kids participated in a wonderful Easter Egg Hunt.  I
know I needed the rest more than Eagle.  He ate and
drank and enjoyed looking around.  We took the 2-year
old's pony so he had a buddy, and the 2 kids had
something to do also.
    I was so, so sore on Sunday, hadn't been riding
much, and waking up during the night hearing rain
really made me wonder about how it would be riding
Monday--but I never considered not riding.
Surprisingly I was much less sore after the Monday
ride.  (It didn't rain.) Also, I'd been having
problems with my hip, my "periformus" muscle since
late September, and the 100 miles on the horse helped
more than all the doctor and accupuncturist visits!!
    All of the people I met were helpful and
friendly.  The ride was the greatest and ride
management itself was absolutely fantastic--I can't
emphasize that enough.
    It was such a thrill to see and speak with Julie
Suhr, and to thank her for writing her inspirational
book.  (She came in before I did on Saturday.)  It was
so interesting to be camped next to the "Flying Horse"
Willie and to hear about his adventures on the Tevis
trail.  It was especially inspiring for me, a woman of
a certain intermediate age, to have an older couple
who came in late Saturday evening camp next to us.  I
think anyone brave who camps near someone with a
toddler!  They drove in with an ordinary pickup maybe
no newer than ours, a modest horse trailer, and camper
shell.  I did notice that the woman moved like one in
her 20's and when I talked with her it was the same.
This woman went out on Sunday, the toughest day, and I
was watching at the finish to see her miss out on
first place by a nose!  Wow!  What an inspiration!
Not only the placing, of course, but the knowledge,
agility and stamina to bring a horse to that spot.
Then as she visited with us I learned her name and
looked her up in AERC records at home--impressed and
inspired all over again!  Congratulations again--you
know who you are!
    I liked certain elements of the multi-day format.
It is as much effort to take my family away from home
camping for one night as it is for four nights, and
four nights allows time for a lot more fun and
relaxation than one or two!  We are not self-contained
so set up a "camp" kitchen, etc.  This takes time to
take down, too!  In addition, there was more time to
visit.  It was fascinating to see other folks'
set-ups, a wide variety!  The vet checks were very
smooth and efficient, and lunch was delicious!!!  The
cups and T-shirts were perfect!  So, thank you to Ride
Management, thank you to all those who proffered
advice, and I would encourage others to try this ride.

Sharlene (with the Standard Poodle, the kids, the
helpful husband, and the blue roan pinto pony, Stormy.)