[RC] Cuyama XP 2005 - Sharlene Roberts-Caudle

First, a sincere "thanks" to all of you who shared
information and advice about the Cuyama ride--it
helped to make our experience great!

This was a wonderful ride and if you'd like to hear
about my experiences at my first multi-day, and my
second ride altogether, read on.

The Lake Oroville Vista 50 was our first and, thanks
to the generous advice of RideCampers, it was fun and
successful for all of us (including husband, 10 year
old, 2 year old, and puppy).  My Polish Arab gelding
is in his teens, raced a couple of years, stood at
stud until 10, went to RMTC until I bought him in '99.
I was really surprised at how much he must have
learned at the LOVE ride.  There, he wanted to shove
his nose up the tail of the horse in front, but when
he got in the lead he dragged along more slowly.  So,
we went along behind another horse which worked out
just great.  We finished fine and he was happy, well
hydrated enough and with good gut sounds.  He didn't
drink as well as I would have liked and looked kind of
gaunt for a week after.
    It was a different story at the Cuyama ride!  He
drank well the entire time, and ate really well.  I
was able to stay off of the next horse's tail, when we
passed groups of horses he moved right along, knowing,
I guess, that there were more up ahead?  We rode
Saturday and Monday, so rested on Sunday while the
kids participated in a wonderful Easter Egg Hunt.  I
know I needed the rest more than Eagle.  He ate and
drank and enjoyed looking around.  We took the 2-year
old's pony so he had a buddy, and the 2 kids had
something to do also.
    I was so, so sore on Sunday, hadn't been riding
much, and waking up during the night hearing rain
really made me wonder about how it would be riding
Monday--but I never considered not riding.
Surprisingly I was much less sore after the Monday
ride.  Also, I'd been having problems with my hip, my
"periformus" muscle since late September, and the 100
miles on the horse helped more than all the doctor and
accupuncturist visits!!
    All of the people I met were helpful and
friendly.  The ride was the greatest and ride
management itself was absolutely fantastic--I can't
emphasize that enough.