Re: [RC] super mare, not the troll - matt medeiros

This is the Troll,I am 33 almost 34 yrs old.or young?This will be my 26th yr riding endurance.
I was selected and rode the NORTH AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIP in FRONT ROYAL ,VA
in 1987.Be careful of who you call a troll.You are right, great mares are great mares.
Great stallions are great stallions.THAT IS NOT THE POINT! Endurance records will show one
thing:
       Lots of horses go fast for a short time
       Very few go fast over and over again.
You pick what you want, we pick what we want.
Someone mentioned sexist that got me worked big time.Meaning all Stallions are the same.
Better yet all mares are the same. NOT!
We have had mares , geldings ,and heck we have ridden MULES to complete rides.
If you think for one minute that having a stallion is the same,go figure again!
Not even trying to promote a stallion draws attention when you get to a ride.
Most people do not even know Splash is a stud ( next to our other horses)until
they hear his name.That is one thing you will never hear about a mare.
             Does anyone ever talk about how quiet a mare is?
             I think not!
The biggest point of all:
                                 Find a stallion you like, if breeding is what you want to do.Next
find a mare that is equal or better  bred and has good conformation,and a sound mind(yah)
Do not put down those that are trying to promote the breed of endurance horses you will be
riding in years to come.          M&T

SandyDSA@xxxxxxx wrote:
ok - one more time...
that nasty guy was the troll,
really?

well mares can be nominated, yes we know this, but a stallion must pay a fee for every foal that is to be nominated AND heir fee is much higher to begin with.
,
a stallion owner could make deals like you get one foal i get the other,
this is already being done and mainly by the MARE owners who want a foal without the cost or work - WORK - of owning a stallion

costs of housing may be more on the stallions part but vet care for the mare and foal could be more,
really? yearly (or more) motility and sperm count tests, SCID testing, regular vet exams and care, I don't consider our stallions to be worth less care than our mares, in fact, at times they can be more. We also include the cost of one preg check with our full service leases.
the foal from these superior mares could also benefit the stallion owners in advertising right...
which ads are STILL being paid for by the stallion owners. Have you checked into the COST of advertising a stallion, or of the insurance, general liability, additional care costs?

bedoine ...hmmm
tracked foals thru the mare line and felt that was where the value is, i know our best horse came out of a
great mare and a stud that was gelded because he wasn't very good.  but regarless of who the mare was bred too her foals were sold before they were born.

Sometimes stallions are gelded simply BECAUSE they will make a wonderful gelding - or because someone does not have the facility to properly care for AND PAY FOR a stallion. To be honest, I am offended by the very notion that my time and my stallion's sperm - AND 3 decades of experience and research - take a back seat to someone's perceived assumption of the value of their mare vs our stallion.

In the end, we put tremendous value in our breeding program into our mares. They have indeed been slighted in the past. However, the huge disparity in the cost and workload of owning a stallion absolutely deserves to be a shared 'cost". Morbid curiosity makes me ask - just how many of you who actively own, compete and stand a stallion would go out and pay mare owners a fee - what, $1000? - so that the mare owners could have a foal of their own? Thought so. Me neither.

Yahoo! Messenger