Re: [RC] Arabian Numbers+SUPPLY & DEMAND - abigail Madden

To illustrate this point.....

Several years ago I was speaking with young man from the UAE driving a brand new Dodge Viper that had no lien holder on it......paid for.  (yes, I was giving him a ticket for driving it waaaay too fast)  While we chatted I asked him about endurance riding in the UAE.  He looked at me a little puzzled and said, "You mean horses?"  When I said yes, he said, "Oh, only the rich kids get to do that."  My jaw must have dropped.  All I could think about was what his definition of "rich" was.  Here he was living and going to school in a foreign country, very nice/expensive apartment, expensive clothes, and a $70,000.00 car.  He then asked if I had ever ridden a horse.  When I told him that I owned 3 horses, his jaw dropped.  He could not fathom that I could afford such things on my public servant salary.  We both learned a few things that day.

In terms of horse prices and stud fees.  Quality is quality and I have no problem paying for it.

abigail
Chico, CA<<<Very, very windy, cold & rainy today.

Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
John you make some interesting observations. Horse ownership seems to be
quite a bit different in the US than many other countries. I many
coutries equine activities are a purview of the wealthy. In the US much
of it is by the "proletariat." I suspect that in the US for the most
part CTR and endurance are the sports of the "proletariat" where as in
many other countries it is a sport of the wealthy.