Sent: Friday, April 08, 2005 12:43 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] stud fee/super mare?

Wow - I don't know what to say except that without question over the past 3 decades of competing, breeding, riding, training, any stallion we have owned cost more than any mare. I suppose when the fee for mares being nominated for Sweeps, etc. goes up; when mare owners take out full page ads for their girls; the cost of general care (since by and large boys must have separate accommodations and sometimes even handling) hits a status quo....in general the costs bear out that the mares should be the ones charging the fees :), then perhaps it would be a different story. I would agree that MANY mares are FAR superior to a ton of stallions. But here is the thing - who gets the foal??? If a mare owner is going to get to keep the foal - which is usual - of course that owner should pay for the service of a stallion. If a stallion owner spies a great mare and wants a foal then he or she can possibly lease the mare. In addition, since a mare can only produce one foal per year (don't - DON'T get me started on ET!), the high cost and the extent and gamble of advertising a mare for, what, lease, is  not only a crap shoot but not very financially appealing. We do offer a mare or tow each season for breeding leases - and of course a mare can only be leased for one person - a stallion can be bred to numerous mares - though that issue too is a hot button for me - something wrong with a stallion siring 100 or more foals on his debut season.

In the end, the stallion owner bears a huge cost of both money and effort in promotion and care. It seems fair that a mare owner shares that cost should the mare owner desire a foal from that union.

my question has always been why stud fees???  there are mares out there superior to stallions, mares i believe contribute at least as much if not more to the quality of the foal...  shouldn't stallion owners be paying and courting to breed to these superior mares...  ( i know partially private treaty allows for this) but really the few foals a mare could have should be more valuable than the thousands a stallion could ...  the whole stud fee thing is sexist, don't you think?