Re: [RC] re: stud fees - SandyDSA

In a message dated 4/8/2005 7:58:14 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, ccollins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
can't raise a foal to rideable age for less than $5,000, probably more.
This is a HUGE truth for breeders who attempt to provide a source of quality competitive Arabians, and for the buyers, if one does their homework and checks references, the guesswork is reduced considerably. We have taken numerous "free" horses who did not turn out to be so FREE. They were in the end very good horses, but at some cost, aside from normal care. In the end, some breeders - like us - DON'T breed very many and DON'T sell to people who shouldn't have them - at least not knowingly. You would not believe the lengths people will go to "prove" they are competent! Interestingly, the WORST horse we EVER engaged in buying was also the most expensive. This isn't a comment on expensive horses, just something to think about. SO when you go to buy a horse, don't ask what is wrong, just because perhaps MY yearling is half the price of a yearling down the road:).