[RC] {RC] Arabian Stud Fees are just too high - Nat Nelson

<<The AHA wants us to breed more arabs, but who can
afford the stud fees?  I haven't seen any arabs I'd
want to breed my mare to for under $1,000.
Ridiculous>>

Standing and promoting a stallion is not cheap. Most
of the stallions advertised in the breed magazines
will generally have higher stud fees. This is due to
promotion costs such as show fees, trainer fees, and
advertising costs. Heck just go research how much a
full page add in a breed magazine can run!

Try looking for a local arabian stallion just starting
his breeding career. Sometimes you can get good deals
going that route - or check into local futurity
stallion service auctions (you can contact your local
arab club for details) Many times you can get stud
fees 50% or more off!

Anyone standing a stallion under $500 is really
committing financial suicide. Honestly there is ALOT
of work and cost associated with standing a stallion.

I currently stand two studs - last year I stood 4. The
time involved is astronomical durring the breeding
season - I also work a 40 hour work week - so I juggle
breeding mares around my work schedule. It is not
uncommon for me to bred a mare at 3AM before leaving
work, returning to bred another mare at 3PM when I
return from work and breeding a mare at 9PM before
going to bed. This happens alot during the peek of the
breeding season when several mares come to the same
stallion all at once!

In between those times I feed, fill up water tubs,
clean stalls and run mares to the vet for ultrasounds
in my free time (alot of times I take time off work to
do that, just not enough time in a day durring
breeding season!)

I don't know about you but my time is valuable and it
is compenstated partially through the stud fees and
mare care fees. My job is to get the mare owner's mare
in foal - I don't think I'd do all that work over a
3-14 day period for a mere $150 :) But if you found
someone who will - treat them like gold - because they
are priceless!! Collection fees for my stallion alone
is $150 (I pay someone else to collect, so that's what
it costs the mare owner if they chose to have shipped
semen - on top of the stud fee and the actual shipping
cost from Fed X).

Again if you would like to bred to a purebred Arab
check with your local Arab club to see if they have a
stallion service auction. If not, many stallion
owner's have reduced rates for mares with a proven
peformance record or have get that have a performace
record. Good luck! and happy Stallion Hunting :)

~Nat~
Buckeye, AZ

http://mail.yahoo.com