[RC] Arab/Saddlebred...suggestions/opinions/experiences? - Nancy

Erin,
I love my NSH, Jazzi!  I too had the same dilemma when I went horse shopping
last year.  I could not find a purebred that had good conformation, no
I trained her she could easily learn.  Her walk is BIG and her trot is very
comfortable and smooth.  She is much more comfortable to ride than Lyric our
purebred Arab.  Jazzi has an upright neck and tends to hollow her back.
When she progresses to collection lessons this will be worked on. She has
just about perfect conformation and the heart to go with it.  I also have
several NSH on my street and have noticed the following commonalities, high
set neck/head, big walk, good mind, loving personalities, good endurance and
intelligent.  As in all equines they each have individual personalities and
issues.
One neighbor gelding, Quincy, I would take in a heart beat--beautiful
conformation, hugh stride, amazing endurance and fun trickster personality.
His half brother, Mister has been the local baby sitter, Steady Eddie.
However Mister has problems cantering and just can not cantor without
gaiting, cross cantering and changing leads.  It is very unsettling to ride
it!  Lastly, Genius is a special case.  He was a English Country Pleasure
horse and has won at Nationals.  However Genie has had EPM and chronic
lameness issues.  But when sound he out walks just about everyone, is very
business like and knows his job.  Genie however cribs, has horrible feet and
can not always be caught!  Like I said he is a special case.
I have ridden extensively with these horses on our local trails and camping
and found them to be excellent trail horses.  Quincy could be an endurance
winner if his owner was so inclined.  Mister could be the perfect CTR horse
and well, Genie, he is perfect as a pleasure horse.  Time will tell if
Jazzie is endurance material or not.  I love her and would purchase another
NSH if the conformation and temperament were right.  I too asked this guest
ion and got 90% positive responsives.  Good luck and be patient, the right
horse is looking for you!
Nancy Reed
Lazy J Ranch
Elfin Forest, CA (home of lots of snakes this time of year)

From: "erin ..." <rck_dreamz523@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Arab/Saddlebred...suggestions/opinions/experiences?

Hello.

I am looking at a half arab / half saddlebred horse(NSH).  His dad is an
Arab and mom a Saddlebred.   Does anyone ride/have or have ridden NSH on
endurance rides?  How do you like them and are their gates very different?
Does anyone has opinions on them from riding.  I understand all horses are
different, but I wanted to see what people thought of them in general.  I
ahve ridden Arabs all my life and well to tell you the truth, never had any
other breed besides pure arabs except once or twice...(I know I needa get
out there more), but how are they compared to Arabs.  I can tell that a lot
of them lift their front legs up and do a different gait.  Does this wear
them out easier in endurance or can they be trained to change their gait?
The horse is still very young, not old enough to race in 50's yet, but I am
curious about the gaits as well.  Any other "important" things I need to
know about them?  I would like to learn more about them, since I am now
looking at them.  It seems to
me that the only "tall" horses these days are half arabs, so I am looking
at NSH's.  Please...I would appreciate comments from people who have
actually ridden Arab/Saddlebred crosses(I am not trying to be rude, I just
would like comments from people with experience riding them)...thank you.
-Eri