Re: [RC] Arabian Numbers+SUPPLY & DEMAND - heidi

 a big difference I have sees between breeders here
and in the US is that here each stud (haras) has multiples of
individuals out there competing. They are either ridden by professional
endurance riders (like Mercedes Tapia on RAS Kasal) or by
semi-professional gauchos who are skilled horsemen first and endurance
riders second (like Hugo and Hugito Mendez riding on the Miguel's Moro
horses in the PanAms) - and/or by the breeders and their extended
families.  Either way, the breeders are actively engaged at both the
breeding and the competitive areas.

Wow, it must be nice to have the supply of riders!  Here, breeders have to
start out by riding themselves, and it is slow going to get multiple
horses out.

As it is, the US is very fragmented with the riders not being aligned
much with those that breed their mounts.

This is very true--and many times, the riders don't even realize what they
are riding.  It has been a long, slow process to elevate the level of
consciousness about breeding, but I do believe it is happening.

Not as a brag, but to put this in perspective--last year we had three
horses make the AERC regional standings in their respective weight
divisions.  (Two of those were also in the PNER standings, and one of them
BC'd two 100s, one of which was a fairly large prestigious one.  The other
horse Top Tenned one of the FEI rides.)  We had three more horses start
their careers this year with fairly respectable mileages.  We had yet
another horse win fastest overall time at Cold Springs XP.  But there is
nothing but our own advertising that draws any attention to the fact that
these horses are all from the same program--or that a great many others
are from related programs.

Heidi