[RC] Magic's Mystery Malady (Part 2) - Jim Holland

Bluebonnet was even more strange.  We got there two days early.  He was rested, hydrated, and his tummy full at the ride.  We went slow..our fastest loop of about 14 miles was an hour and 12 minutes. Steady trot with an occasional easy canter.  I got off and walked or trotted for 5 minutes each hour to give him a break and keep the circulation in my feet. At 50 miles, you couldn't tell he had done anything.  Great, enthusiastic, trot and good vet scores.couple of B's.  There was an hour hold so we put him back in the paddock, the weather was nice and he was happily munching hay in the sun.

After about 30 minutes, Joan says "Jim, there's something wrong with Magic!" I looked and he was balancing on his left rear leg and favoring his right rear..just STANDING there.  He was willing to walk, but dragged his right rear toe a little.  I asked Joan to keep walking him and took his vet card over to pull him.  On the way, I met Dr. Jim Baldwin, who graciously walked over to "have a look".  By the time we get there, he is walking perfectly normal, trots great and there is no indication of lameness or soreness whatsoever, physical or otherwise.  At Dr. Baldwin's suggestion, I go out on the next loop just to see what happens.  I am now more interested in solving this problem than in completing the ride. Magic gave me his best loop all day, trotting willingly on a loose rein, drinking, eating grass along the trail with no sign of any problem. At the check, the vet says he's a little off..IN THE FRONT!  Hmmm.are you sure it isn't the rear? I describe what has happened so far. Nope, they were sure..front.nothing serious, just watch him, but otherwise good to go.  Hmmm.  Thirty minute hold and out on the next loop in the dark.  Magic is tiring a little now, but still trots willingly.  At the vet check with 20 miles to go, he is obviously "off" in the REAR enough that it's time to pull.  Sunday morning, he trots with no sign of the problem.  We stayed over Sunday and Monday, left Tuesday morning, stopping overnight near Little Rock, arriving home Wednesday about 8:00PM.  He was fine all day Tuesday, then seemed a little off on the right rear at the last take-off and when he got off the trailer at home on Wednesday, but warmed out of it as soon as he walked around a little. Joint problem? String Halt? Muscle pull? I'm not even sure it's exercise induced.

Speculation posts would be appreciated. I'll post an update when I have some results on the tests.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic