[RC] Stock trailer - Sherman

We bought our gelding as an 11 yr old that had been trail ridden & trailered extensively. So, when we tried to get him in the trailer to take him home, I was shocked by his behavior. He resisted getting in for about 10 minutes, pulling back & forth, getting in a few steps, then quickly backing out. His owner said he had always been like that, several of his friends tried to "fix" it, but only made the loading worse. When he finally got in, he was biting wherever he could get a grip on the trailer & danced the entire hour drive home. He continued this behavior for a few months, until I did two things....backed the trailer up to his paddock & fed him in it for a couple of weeks, AND had some body work done on him. He immediately changed his attitude, but wasn't entirely "fixed". It has taken 1 1/2 years to get him to load calmly & stay calm in the trailer. I may be wrong, but I think he was afraid of the trailer RIDE.....maybe he'd had some bad trips in the trailer. Now, every once in a while he has a little flashback & will swing side to side a time or two before hopping in, but usually it's just a matter of throwing the rope over his neck & getting out of his way.

Good luck,
Kathy