Re: [RC] My take on Aladinn - heidi

And so many people forget that Polish bloodlines are in a LOT of horses
that we dont' associate with Poland! This includes Crabbett and Russian.
Skowrownek was imported to England from Poland. The Russians got their
start in breeding Arabs with help from imported Polish stock.

Remember that nationalities of horses do not always tell you the quality
or direction of their breeding.  The Poles bred some outstanding using
horses prior to WWII, and I'd rank horses like *Witez II right up there
among the more useful sires of the breed.  That said, these horses bear
very little resemblance to the modern Polish horses, which have been bred
either for racing (the closest to the original functionality of the Polish
horses) or to cater to the American show ring (Aladdinn falls in the
latter group quite firmly, IMO).  Skowronek is about as atypical of modern
Polish breeding as you can get--you will still sometimes get a few that
resemble the *Witez II era.  And although the Russians and Poles have both
used quite a bit of Crabbet stock, they have not bred their modern horses
in the same directions that American CMK breeders, English breeders, or
Australian Crabbet/Old Colonial breeders have done.  Bottom line--the
older Polish horses bear far more resemblance to the modern CMK horses
than they do to the modern Polish horses.

I'd not gotten around to replying to the original post yet, but go back
and look at pictures of Aladdinn.  He was a shallow-bodied horse with
weedy bone, and not at all what you would want in an endurance horse.
Yes, one runs across him occasionally in successful endurance
pedigrees--but generally crossed with horses that are far more suitable.
And one also runs across him a lot more in the "also-rans."  He sired a
heckuva lot of foals, and given the numbers with him close-up in the
pedigree that have come into the sport and have tried, he is not very well
represented at all among the successes.

Although I wouldn't go so far as to paint all the horses of ANY
nationality with one brush, he is one Polish horse that I would consider
to be a negative in assessing an endurance pedigree--and I'd want to see a
lot of other stuff there to offset him if I were to recommend a prospect
by pedigree.

Heidi