[RC] Epics-forging - Dawn Simas

Hi Kat, thank you for all the suggestions.  Here is some more info.  BTW: it was my horse, not Mike Sofen's...

<< try putting them on the back feet only instead.>>

I've never had luck putting boots or anything that "lengthens" his toe in the back, especially with the large buckle of an Epic, or dial of a Boa, bulk of an Old Mac, because he then has more to interfere with his front foot as his rear one comes up under the front.

<< if a horse is forging enough that it is ripping its front
shoes off with its back feet, >>

He doesn't catch the tail of the front shoes and rip them off.  What he does is smack the fronts on the center of the bottom as they come up.  Eventually, causing the shoe to bend a bit at the center, teeter from not being flat any longer, loosening the clinches, and throwing a shoe later.

<<get the horse
to get its front end out the way more quickly; however, squaring off the
back toes is not one of them >>

Absolutely agree.  We've always squared the front toes off, in addition to setting the metal shoe back quite a ways on his fronts.  This is the only thing that has worked and he goes great and keeps his shoes on.  I just like the traction/less concussion of plastic/barefoot/boots (we also do Search and Rescue and ride on pavement).  But so far, have yet to find an alternative to setting a metal shoe back that he can go in.  Boots all add too much toe in the front.  Plastic shoes were great for a while, but had to be clinched every week, replaced every month, and were causing some hoof flare.  I'm hoping for success with maybe the new Grip Horseshoes that have a metal nailbed...

I plan on rolling the toe on the Epics as far as I can, and using them over the metal shoes on occasions that I need it, which would be only at the walk (search or parade).

:)  Dawn