[RC] [RC] Epics & Cuyama pics, questions :-) - DreamWeaver

I could not tell from your pics if you modified the epics; filed the toe, trimmed down or removed the heal strap. Or did you use them "as is" like you did at your previous ride?

Nina Vasiliev, who has ordered 2 epics and is waiting somewhat patiently...

Hi Nina -- I did end up doing the modifications. Chief needs to have his front breakover remain the same or speed up if he's got four boots on, so taking a little more toe off the fronts helps that. I find that by cutting the heel strap down on the back, it is easier to pull the nylon strap out once I get the boots on, because of the shape of the gaiter in the back. Plus I think it was better having the small strap on the hind heel bulbs since the ride was a fairly wet one. We had quite a few water crossings, mud, wet sand and wet grass, but overall pretty good footing. I would have gotten a few more better photos today, but the camera battery needed to be recharged first. I thought it was interesting how well you could see the frog marks from inside the boots. I also again was impressed with how clean the boots were when I took them off, still can't figure out how I get more stuff in my shoes than the horse did! I think he's doing pretty well in the Epics overall though, 210 miles on this set. I think I'm getting a better fit with the new boots too. The back of the gaiters seem to be really durable and look pretty good, and the horse is sure not tripping or stumbling. Just make sure you get the neoprene and velcro part of the gaiter as snug as you can. You may have to tighten it after the horse walks around in it a bit if you can see that it could be a little snugger. These boots will definitely be great to use for riders who want to carry a spare easyboot like they already do, since you can use it without worrying about losing the boot and can put it on and have it stay on over a loose shoe or over a foot that may have lost a shoe.

Karen